Tax rules about employing family members

Tax rules about employing family members

November 28, 2011 by Elaine Clark

Paper familyOn the face of it, employing family members can be a good idea. You know them well, so all of the issues of trust and reliance on a stranger should be eliminated.

However, the existence of the family relationship does not bypass any employment laws or any issues relating to tax. Knowing your duties in this area is essential to not falling foul of the law and incurring fines or penalties.

Can I employ my partner or spouse in my business?

Regardless of your business structure (sole trader or limited company) you can employ your partner or spouse in your business.

The general rule is that your partner or spouse should be paid for the effort and hours worked in your business. You must pay your partner or spouse at least the national minimum wage (you can’t get away with paying less).

Where the amount earned exceeds the “lower earning limit” (currently £102 a week, £442 a month or £5,304 a year) you must register as an employer with HM Revenue Customs (HMRC), complete the required PAYE records and file annual returns.

So, just like employing anyone else, you must comply with the tax laws.

What about company directors?

Directors of limited companies who hold office and do not have a contract of employment are outside of the scope of the national minimum wage (see the Directgov website for further information)

This means that a director can be paid an amount that does not incur tax or national insurance.

What about employing my children?

Subject to employment laws, you can employ your children in the business. Again you must pay them the relevant national minimum wage for the hours they work.

It may also mean that because of the payments made to your children you must register with HMRC as an employer. Be sure to check or else you could incur fines and penalties.

What if my offspring are students?

If you employ a student at any time other than their normal holidays, you operate PAYE as normal. However, if you have children at college or university and you employ them solely during the summer, winter or Easter holidays, you may be able to apply special rules to their pay which can make the administration simpler and negate the need for you to register as an employer with HMRC.

If you meet this criteria, you may be able to pay the student without deducting tax, although in most cases you will still have to deduct and account for national insurance. Full details can be found on the HMRC website.

Where can I go for more advice?

Employing anyone is complicated and a minefield of rules and regulation. To ensure that you do follow the rules on this it is always best to seek specific advice from your accountant who will know and understand your circumstances and can make sure that you adhere to the tax laws and your solicitor for employment law issues.

Using 20 years’ experience spent working at some of the UK’s leading businesses, award-winning chartered accountant Elaine Clark is the founder and managing director of, an online accounting service aimed at small businesses with big ambitions.

See our Tax Donut for more detailed information on UK tax

Posted in Employees | 8 comments


Good evening. I found this article to be very usefull in terms of rules and laws which need to be followed. However, i have a question of a more moral nature. At which point does the law intervine when family members receive more understanding or are favoured(based only on their family relationship, not their performance) in comparison to other employees? Is this not a form of discrimination?

There's a useful section on discrimination on the Law Donut which covers equal pay and equal treatment which you might find useful in answer to your question.

The Donut Team

Just to say that the amounts for the tax year 2014 / 2015 are £111 a week, £481 a month or £5,772 a year.

To answer your question – if you employ your son at below £111 / week then you may not need to register if he is your only employee. Other conditions do apply - You can read the full information about this on the HMRC web site at:

You’d show this in your accounts as a wages cost (debit wages / credit bank)

Hope this helps.



Hi it says here: "Where the amount earned exceeds the “lower earning limit” (currently £102 a week, £442 a month or £5,304 a year) you must register as an employer with HM Revenue Customs (HMRC), complete the required PAYE records and file annual returns" So does this mean if I employ my son at £101 or less per week I do not have to do PAYE or register?  If that is the case, how would I show this on my business accounts? I work from home and as my home is still incomplete I am unable to get insurance, this means employing anyone other than family (who already live here anyway) is not an option.  But I could do with some help, and my son might as well be the one to be paid as any one else!

Can I pay my son through paye even if he does not work or contribute to the buisness

For general guidelines on employing family members, have a look at this section of the Law Donut. To check the tax and legal implications you could call HMRC on 0300 200 3200.

The Donut team.

If you are paying her, under PAYE, for work done in the business then that is perfectly fine.

I have a small business, of which I am a director and my daughter (18+) is the Company Secretary.  She is a registered employee.     I would like to pay her a salary to match the fees she will soon be paying to go to university, which will be paid through PAYE with all the correct tax and NI deductions.   Is this legal?    Is there anything wrong with me paying her a salary out of proportion to the amount of work she does for the company?

Add a comment

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Links to specified hosts will have a rel="nofollow" added to them.

When you click 'Register' to create a new account, you accept our terms of service and privacy policy