Whether your business is large, small, new or been around the block a few times, every penny in your marketing budget has to work hard and give you a return. Remember though that doors opened through your marketing now may lead you down a profitable path in the future, but not yield a financial return just yet.
Marketing doesn’t have to cost a fortune and there are many effective marketing activities that you can do that won’t cost a penny yet will point you in the right direction to get your business to where you want it to be. Here goes …
- Put yourself in their shoes – where does your target audience go? do? read? listen to? Don’t waste time and money being where they are not.
- What is your USP? – what makes you different from your competitors? Don’t just be another face in the crowd.
- Be an expert – write articles and get them published. Register on www.expertsources.co.uk and www.findatvexpert.com.
- Sell the sizzle not the steak – highlight the benefits of what you do and not just explain what you do.
- Freebies – offer a free consultation/trial session/product. Let people experience what you will do for them.
- Testimonials – if you have happy customers, shout about them. Third party endorsements are worth their weight in gold.
- Case studies – these are expanded testimonials and allow you to show a problem you helped solve. The media love these.
- Social networking – set up profiles on, e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, UKBusinessForums, and start connecting. They’re free.
- Network – people buy from people so get out there and meet people. There are loads of networking groups out there.
- E-mail signature – include your contact details and a short sales message or link to something you want to promote at the end of each e-mail. This can be automated.
The best thing to reduce your marketing spend is to Stop & Think before you commit any money. There may be a free or cheaper alternative … effective marketing does not have to cost a fortune.