- set your pay rate and pay at least the National Minimum wage
- carry out pre-employment checks to ensure your employee is legally entitled to work in the UK
- establish whether you need to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service check
- arrange employers' liability insurance if you are not already insured
- register as an employer with HM Revenue & Customs
- give your new employee a written statement of employment
- check if you need to enrol the employee in a workplace pension
You can find guidance and tools to help you fulfil these duties on the GOV.UK website.