Why a brand is much more than just colours, fonts or slogans and how to come up with a great business name
In this episode we speak to Liz Mosley to learn the importance of creating a strong, distinctive brand when starting a business. We hear about the importance of brand values and how to create a distinctive brand identity including your business name, your logo and your website.
Find links to all the resources mentioned in this episode, along with related content, below.
- Branding overview
- Creating a brand
- I’m a small business – why do I need a brand?
- Ten ways to build a brand for your small business
- Create a powerful brand for your ambitious start-up
- Find more content on branding in the Branding topic on Marketing Donut.
Your business name
- Six steps to designing a great business logo
- Canva – free tool (with paid-for options) for creating logos and social media graphics
Building a website
About Liz Mosley
Liz is the host of the popular Building Your Brand podcast, which advises small businesses on a wide variety of subjects linked to their brand and marketing. She also offers training courses for small businesses and she's a graphic designer with more than ten years' experience who creates stunning brand identities for start-ups and small businesses.
About our sponsor
Thanks to the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) for sponsoring this first series of the Start Your Own Business podcast.
FSB help smaller businesses to achieve their ambitions. They are the leading voice of 5.8 million small businesses and self-employed people across the UK, working to promote and protect their interests.
Whether they're influencing key policy decisions in government, offering specialist advice on everything from HR to insurance, or running local networking events, the needs of small businesses come first.
FSB members benefit from a range of market-leading business services and support, including advice, financial expertise, and a powerful voice heard in governments across the UK. If you're just starting out on your business journey, FSB can help you every step of the way at fsb.org.uk/start.
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find 'Start Your Own Business' on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button - we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective