Why it's important to spend as little as possible when starting a business, where to get funding and tips on cash flow management and setting prices
In this episode we speak to Guy Bridge to find out about the pros and cons of various sources of start-up funding. Is it possible to start a business with little or no money? What can you claim for when running your business from home all or some of the time? You can also find out about how to keep your cash flow healthy, which is arguably the most important challenge you face in business.
Find links to all the resources mentioned in this episode, along with related content, below.
- Start up costs overview
- Calculating start-up costs
- Limiting start-up costs
- Allowable expenses for small businesses and sole traders
- British Business Bank Start-up Loans scheme
- FSB funding platform (free for FSB members)
- GOV.UK – Business finance support finder
- Find your local Growth Hub
- How we started up successfully without external finance
- Start-up funding overview
- Essential guide to getting a grant for your business
- An accountant’s summary of start-up funding options
Managing your cashflow
About Guy Bridge
Guy is the CEO of Finpoint, a business finance platform that makes it easier for SMEs and their advisers to find the right business finance. Finpoint works with the Federation of Small Businesses and many other organisations. Previously, for 25 years, Guy worked in banking for HSBC, RBS and others, so he’s highly experienced when it comes small business funding and finance.
About our Sponsor
Thanks to the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) for sponsoring the Start Your Own Business podcast.
If you've got a brilliant business idea or you're on your way to start-up success, FSB is here to help you every step of the way. As the leading voice of 5.5 million small business owners and the self-employed, they're helping entrepreneurs like you to achieve your ambitions.
Business life can be tough, but with FSB by your side, you won't have to go it alone. From market-leading business services like 24/7 legal advice and financial expertise, to local networking and a powerful voice heard in governments across the UK, you'll always have support by your side. With FSB's updates on the latest guidance relating to important issues like trade, digital skills, late payments, and sustainability, you'll stay one step ahead.
Find out more about how FSB can support you to start, run and grow your business at fsb.org.uk/join.
To make sure you don’t miss an episode:
- Find ‘Start Your Own Business’ on your podcast app of choice and hit the subscribe button - we recommend Apple Podcasts and Spotify
- Subscribe to our newsletter
To get tips, support and inspiration from other small business owners:
- Join our thriving Facebook group the Donut Small Business Collective