As we approach the autumn, what better time to get ready for the season’s key HR tasks? Here is my handy HR checklist of things you should be thinking about over the coming months.
- Review any flexible working arrangements you used during the summer holidays and consider the advantages and disadvantages this afforded the business. Learn from the experience and share the learning.
- Start thinking about your Christmas plans for the business and book your Christmas party night soon.
- Countdown to end of year for the business – do you need a team briefing to put life back into your business plan and a push towards the end of the year?
- Do you need to start planning your vision and plans for 2013? Or revise your budgets for the rest of the calendar year?
- Auto enrolment into qualifying pension schemes comes into force. For most SMEs, this won’t trigger until 2014, but it’s worthwhile planning for this cost now.
- The National Minimum Wage will increase to £6.19 per hour for the top band.
- Time to think about end of year appraisals and reviews. Have you got a process that works for you in place? Do you need to revise or update it?
- Will you pay out bonuses at the end of the year? If so, is everyone on board with targets or could you refresh these and their commitment towards achieving target?