In-office vs remote working: which is better in 2022?

By:

Date: 22 July 2022

Remote workers join a virtual meeting

Following the near global lockdown of 2020, many came to the realisation that most white-collar jobs could successfully be carried out with just a laptop and an internet connection. Due to the flexibility of working remotely, this new finding undoubtedly made a sizable portion of the workforce happy.

The argument about the most productive work arrangement is still being debated among employees today. Many businesses appear to be implementing the remote work model – providing employees with both remote and in-office employment to retain talent rather than miss out on the benefits of this working pattern.

The rise of remote workers

Working remotely turned out to be a workable solution for most businesses during the pandemic. This working arrangement has been a huge success and has proven that productivity and results could be obtained anywhere – not just in the workplace. Many companies have realised that remote workers and on-site workers in a serviced office are equally productive.

According to research, 30% of employees work now remotely, while the remaining 70% is shared between in-office and hybrid workers. If you’re a business owner still weighing the future of your company's working model, here are some pros and cons of in-house and remote work models that you should consider before settling on a decision.

In-office vs. remote work

1. Access to talent

Remote work breaks the barrier of geographical restrictions. A wider candidate pool allows you to find the talent, knowledge, and skills that might not be accessible to you using an in-office model.

2. Operational costs

With a physical office, you need to account for the costs of rent and maintenance of your serviced office space, furniture, Wi-Fi, and much more. However, these costs are avoided in a remote work model – meaning lower operational costs.

3. Business growth

With a physical company, you must consider where you’ll sit a new employee. Eventually, a growth point is reached, and there's a limit to how many employees the work environment can take. This isn't the case when working remotely – there are no barriers to recruiting remote workers.

4. Work interruptions and distractions

An in-office job can come with fewer distractions compared to a remote one. Employees at home could get easily distracted, especially when a pet or child needs attention.

5. Mental health

Remote jobs come with more flexible working hours . Plus, workers can take occasional breaks when the need arises – improving mental health. This isn't guaranteed in an in-office setting. On the other hand, working remotely can make a worker feel isolated – with communication and bonds with other workers a little trickier.

Final thoughts

Each employment arrangement undoubtedly has benefits and drawbacks. The main lesson is that not all professions suit remote working. The most efficient work style is one that works for your company. Being productive at work has nothing to do with the actual workplace, as the epidemic has long proven, but rather with the psychological setting in which a person works.

Copyright 2022. Article was made possible by site supporter Damilare Adedeji of Writefully

What does the * mean?

If a link has a * this means it is an affiliate link. To find out more, see our FAQs.